What We Offer
The Leigh & Westcliff is reported to be the largest tennis association in the U.K.. During the winter months 19 leagues of six teams are run, with four players per squad. In the summer the leagues are 16 strong, also holding six teams per division, but housing six players per team. We have over 1,600 registered players within our 16 affiliated clubs. This number grows year on year.
The rules of the association have been built very comprehensively over the years, they are strictly adhered to by the League Secretary, with the backing from the elected committee of eleven, all members of the clubs involved. Knockout tournaments are arranged, Summer and Winter, for all affiliated 1,600 members as well as Junior Leagues within the Summer Season. Tennis membership is available from all of our affiliated clubs with varied membership costs, to suit all pockets.
The year was 1949 and the need to have a tennis association for small clubs was recognised in the South East of Essex.
Originally this was to give one or two court clubs, and all standards of players, competitive tennis. Representatives from eight local clubs decided to form a league ready for the 1950 summer season. St.Peters Church was the meeting venue and the initial clubs involved were:-
St.Peters LTC, Kent Elms TC, Leigh Road Baptist TC, Brookside, Clifftown, Leigh Wesley, Oakleigh, St.Mary's and St. Margaret's
The six clubs shown in Italic lettering are sadly no longer in existence.
In the beginning it was decided that member clubs should compete in a league competition, playing each other once. This original league, and still called 'The League', consisted of a men's, ladies and mixed pairing, now playing home and away. The format continues to be run to this day and we like to feel it is unique in league tennis. We have during the years since 1950 been joined by:
The David Lloyd Centre Southend, Deanes Sports Centre, Hadleigh Park LTC, Hockley LTC, Invicta TC, Rayleigh LTC, Rochford TC, Southend Lawn TC, Thorpe Bay LTC, Westcliff Hardcourt LTC, Westcliff Lawn TC and Wickford LTC
A number of other clubs have been involved through the many years:
Leigh, Access, A.W.R.E (renamed Civil Service), Cavendish, Civil Service, Conifers, Erycinus (renamed C.E.Heath), N.A.L.G.O., Old Southendians, St.Aidans, St.Saviours, Southbourne, Southend Hospital and Westcliff Congregational
This history of the L.&.W. was updated and and put on line in February 2011. We have 16 affiliated clubs within our ranks, and would always welcome new organisations in our area with tennis facilities. Following the summer success of 'THE LEAGUE', Gentlemen's leagues were set up in 1970, followed fifteen years later by the Ladies in 1985. Winter League tennis was introduced for the 1986/87 season; this started with eight divisions. Summer club knockout competitions commenced in May 1964 and were named the Jubilee Cup for the Men, Jubilee Bowl for the Ladies and in 1988 the Jubilee Shield for the Mixed.
FIve outdoor Astro Turf Courts, Three indoor acrylic courts, Two indoor carpet courts
2 Snakes Ln, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6UD, UK
Three Hard Courts
23-31 Crosby Rd, Southend-on-Sea, Westcliff-on-Sea SS0, UK